Saturday, January 10, 2015

Yahweh, or the Highway!



“No matter where you touched this God, he bellowed. If you said a kind word to him he lifted his fist and shouted, ‘I want meat!’ If you offered a lamb or your firstborn son as a sacrifice, he screamed, ‘I don't want meat. Do not rend your clothes; rend your hearts. Turn your flesh into spirit, your spirit into prayer, and scatter it to the winds!’” (Nikos Kazantzakis The Last Temptation)

I detest the angry, jealous, abusive father-god of the Old Testament! I am unaware of a more terrifying and loathsome, murderous deity! I say this as one who holds a master's degree in the humanities with a concentration in comparative religion, who taught an introductory course in world religions at the university level for seven years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment